My trip to Malta in search of charities and volunteering opportunities abroad

10 comments
My trip to Malta in search of charities and volunteering opportunities abroad

I went to Malta last week and the weather was a lot better than in the UK. I went to the capital, Valletta, and the nearby city of Sliema. Also then Popeye Village, Mellieha, Mdina, Mosta, Bugibba and the whole of Gozo. I found not one charity shop; there were many shops with sales on but they had high pricey items.

While staying in Mellieha in Malta there were many poor people. There was one young girl who had no coat or boots and was walking all the way up from the beach when it was dark and cold – there are no special services for children in Malta.

People of all ages go to Malta, but what few know is that Malta lacks resources and finance to help young people much. There are churches but they are only places for worship. In the UK, however, people use churches for various things, from bake sales to youth clubs, etc.

Malta has a vast history and many films have been shot there, but few donations have been made from the proceeds. There are no donation boxes in the shops, they keep the change themselves, so perhaps we should save our spare change.

Because there are no charities, if you look on the internet there isn’t much you can do in Malta volunteering wise and as I have seen most of it in a week I can confirm this. Africa is one of the main places known for volunteering abroad however it is often unsafe to stay there – it depends on where in Africa you stay.

I visited many locations and attractions in Malta but completely forgot about volunteering. I hope to volunteer at Radio XL and continue to write stories for Charityzine as I hope to become a professional Broadcast Assistant.

Malta is amazing and I would recommend that young people in the UK stop to think before opening charities in the UK and consider going to Europe and helping the children and poor people as there are many out there that need our help so let’s make a change and book a trip to Malta – it’s cheap. It would change your life and your perspective as someone who has never volunteered or wasn’t previously interested in charities – you will be once you leave this country, believe me!

1. My sister got married in Malta. It was a cheap option. Yes I hear that there is a lot of poverty in malta and I suppose that is made worse by a decline in the tourist industry since 2008.

• Astrid Vella says:

Actually, Malta has one of the highest standards of living in Malta, and one of the lowest rates of unemployment. Poverty will always exist, due to various reasons, but certainly not due to a decline in tourism, which has never been stronger.

2. Marthese Formosa says:

Now, poverty is on the increase but there are countless people that live comfortable. There are also aides and NGOs which help with various difficulties. The problem is that they are either not on the internet or you wouldn’t know where to find. I’m a Maltese person that is involved with NGOs. There are also countless volunteering opportunities- you just have to know the organizations since they are usually small.

There are also countless charity shops- with more on the increase. Mostly they are animal related- with a few social ones. there are also various donation boxes and tins, you just have to find either a shop that has one or an occasion. For example there are special times where there are special collection tins eg. l-istrina a new year’s charity which has piggy banks as well a direct donations on a tv program (of which I can say there are a few occasions per year where there are collection programmes)

The problem with charity shops is their shadowed appearance on the internet. As I have just finished making a list for an event, I wanted to share it with you. Finally, while in Malta there is much to do on the NGO front, I did not wish that your trip (which only lasted one week and without contacts you won’t know how to navigate) gave you the impression that nothing is done here.

These are only the ones that I know of:
    List of charity Shops in Malta
    Charity of Choice- 50, Triq Toni Bajada
    Mdina
    Sisters of St. Dorothy Nun Charity shop- red door adjacent to the nun convent
    Victoria-Gozo
    Inspire- Triq Fortunato Mizzi
    Online
    In aid of Voiceless- https://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Aid-of-Voiceless-Online-Shop/399395196801288?ref=ts&fref=ts
    Flog it 4 furries- https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flog-It-4-Furries/349381388511789

3. hi, I appreciate reading your article sharing honestly what is going on. I would like to go to Malta to do some voluntary work but I am not sure what is the best way. I hope to do one year of voluntary work before my retirement.
    can you advise which organisation can I contact.
    thank you.

4. Devina Henry says:

Hi i am looking for voluntary work with children and young people in Malta as a university placement. Do you know of any organisation that I could contact

thanks

5. Your assessment is absolute nonsense. Of course there are specialised child services in Malta. A quick google search will yield plenty of results. In any case, how can you reach the conclusion that there is a problem of child poverty because you came across one child who was not wear a coat? Malta has one of the highest standards of living in Europe, despite GDP per capita being relatively low. Poverty exists as in most European countries but the welfare state is still going strong and problem is negligible compared to the Dickensian squalor found in parts of the UK.

6. Tim Ford says:

Hi all you people i am at the offset of helping set up a project in Malta to help find theraputic costs and group workshops for women who have suffered domestic violence. We plan to do this through a British based company rather than a charity and we work with a Maltese resident who has this at her heart this may well also expand with time and resources. our email is soseparation@gmail.com, we would welcome any ideas thanks

7. Astrid Vella says:

While there is obviously always more to do, and funding is never enough, I’m amazed how the picture couldn’t be further off the mark. At just 5%, has one of the lowest rates of unemployment in Europe. There is poverty but it is mostly due to situations like addiction and illiteracy that prevents people from making full use of services available.

What you have said about the church is utter rubbish. The Church in Malta is the biggest care-giver, supplying food baskets and running orphnages and shelters for abused women.

Charity tins for aid for the disabled, mental care, cancer treatment, animal shelters. As for availabilty of NGOs, the most superficial Internet search will bring up the Council for Voluntary organisations which lists over 1,000 organisations in Malta, including over 100 in the charity field.

It is highly irresponsible to leave such a misinformed article on internet, giving a picture that is so far from the truth.

8. I must agree with Sarah,
    I see far more poverty in UK cities than I do in Malta. Yes, there is inequality – which is everywhere, but Malta is actually a strong financial centre.
    I have not seen any children begging on the streets – or even adults for that matter – in the 8 years I lived here.
    There are also at least 2 charity shops that I use within 10 minutes from me.
    The picture painted by Mahnaz is quite distant from the reality.

9. Marisa warwick says:

I was really surprised to read the comment written by mahnaz. Having lived and worked in UK most of my life, travelled extensively around Europe and further afield, I can honestly say that poverty in Malta is nothing like many other countries.
    The comment about no coat and boots…..our winters in Malta are rarely cold enough to wear coats or boots! And I am a 60 year old not an active child! A far cry from the frozen street people one sees in many European cities, most of them begging at church doorways.
    Of course poverty exists everywhere….we are beginning to see it more in the last few years with the influx of immigrants and asylum seekers that have been seeking refuge on our tiny island.
    Unemployment here is extremely low and the quality of life for the majority is, in my opinion a darn sight better than Uk.